Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Weekly Ritual





For those who don´t know, I was born and raised Lutheran. Baptized, confirmed, and married in my home church. I was lucky enough to go to college in my hometown on a full ride and was fortunate enough to participate in Lutheran Campus Ministry, which took place at my church with my old pastor.


LCM was like a college-age group that met every Tuesday for dinner and some sort of activity. The activity usually varied. Sometimes it was a service project, sometimes we played games, sometimes we had worship, sometimes we just talked. But what I always counted on every week was the ritual that we had during dinner.


Everyone would go around the table and say what their highs and lows for the week were and where they saw God. It didn´t literally mean, ¨Wow I actually just saw God himself!¨ It meant where did you see or feel God´s presence in your everyday life and how.


That LCM group was very special to me and I loved going every week. I´ve been out of college for a while now, but now that I´m blogging, I decided I want to get back into that Tuesday ritual. So here goes...


My high for the week: I have several, which is good, as I´m trying to be a more positive, optimistic, thankful person.


1. It has actually drizzled several times this week! (Refer to my earlier post about the water situation as to why this is such a miracle)


2. A book I ordered for one of my online book clubs got here in 1 week! Again, this is amazing because usually things on Amazon take anywhere from 4-12 weeks to get to Mexico! And for all those who don´t know, I LOVE to read and I´m a complete book nerd, so this makes me really happy! :-)


3. I got to talk to my parents on Saturday on the phone, which always makes me happy. Phone calls to the US are quite expensive, but so worth it to stay in touch with two of the people who mean the most to me in the world.


4. Last Thursday I got my hair cut and highlighted by my sister-in-law Debbie. For all those who don´t know me very well, I´m a pretty low maintenance chick, especially when it comes to my hair. I don´t own a blow dryer, flat iron, curling iron, nothing. My routine consists of brushing my hair and letting it air dry. I usually only get my hair cut every 3-4 months, as my hair is quite strong and healthy and does not get split ends easily, thanks to my low maintenance. So anyways, I´m happy because my hair looks great, the highlights are very subtle and natural looking and just what I wanted! And I haven´t ¨done¨ anything to my hair since probably high school, so it was time for some ¨me¨ sprucing up.


My low for the week: Saturday would have been my maternal grandmother´s 78th birthday. But unfortunately she died of colon cancer on 4/15/2006. It´s hard to believe that she´s been gone for 4 years. I think about her all the time and miss her everyday.


Where I saw God this week: On Sunday there was a newborn baby boy at church. Every time I see a baby it just reminds me of the miracle of life and what a blessing from God it is. I continue to hope and pray that one day I will know how it feels to have such a gift from Him.


(Photo above is from our LCM group back in 2007, my last year there, I´m in the middle with the blue shirt and black capris-miss all you guys!)

No comments:

Post a Comment